Monday, July 15, 2013

Carbon footprint per mile

I was curious this morning as to how, if at all, my carbon footprint has changed with my electric car. So, it's math time! (For the math-phobic, suck it, I'm showing my work).

According to PG&E, per kilowatt hour, my wall outlet produces 0.524 lbs of CO2. It looks like we're doing this in American units.

According to my car, I get 4.2 miles per kilowatt hour (yup, miles and pounds, joy). That means that I produce 0.1247 lbs CO2 per mile.

According the US EIA, 19.64 lbs of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. So this calc assumes summer driving.

My Cooper got about 30 miles to gallon, so that means I produced 0.6546 lbs CO2, over five times the amount produced from my Nissan Leaf.

My wife's car get's about 44 miles to the gallon, so she's at 0.45 lbs CO2, a bit better than a Mini Cooper, and a heck-of-a-lot better than a car with 22 miles to the gallon (0.89 lbs CO2).  'Cause I have the calculator up, a gas guzzler that got 12 miles to the gallon produces 1.6 lbs CO2 per mile.  Yikes!

Now, if/when I go solar, I'm going to get my per mile footprint down to nearly zero. I'm glad I did the math. All that book learnin' went to good use! I feel even better about my awesome, green, quiet, comfy, zippy, and carpool-cheating car!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ubi solitutinem faciunt, pacem appellant.