Thursday, November 1, 2012

The next big thing

Thanks Micah for tagging me on The Next Big Thing. He claims I've taught him something, I hope it was something good.

1. What is the title of your book?

Pood!e

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

My life. Specifically, getting laid off in 2008 from my second post-college job, then having four jobs over the next four years.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Satire. Maybe spec fic, but satire draws from the extraordinary to highlight the ordinary absurdities in the everyday.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Jason Schwartzman, but with make-up to make his boyish face look even younger, like he did in I Heart Huckabees. And my female lead would be played by Zooey Deschanel at the age she was in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

5. What is a one-sentence synopsis of the book?

Perennially down-on-his-luck Nathan just wants to work for the biggest, most-profitable Silicon Valley company ever to exist, but is he willing he make a dog of himself to get in?

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Yes.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

Can I get back to you on that? I actually haven't finished the full first draft, and I've been working on and off on this MS since 2009.

8. What other books would you compare this story to in your genre?

White Noise by Don DeLilo, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, and Slapstick and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

If I said that out loud, I might never work in the Silicon Valley again (which could be a good thing, depending).

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Silicon Valley. Satire. I need to say more? Alright, fine. Aztec-goddess possessed AMC Gremlins. Fembots with furry cat ears. Dog-cat hybrids. Really cheap Chinese food. Human-sized hamster tubes. If your interest isn't piqued by now, you're dead inside (or not my target audience, same thing, really).

Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged.

Micah Joel tagged me because he's a good friend and the founder of our writers' group, Foglatch. Thank you for spurring me on. A good kick in the rear is exactly what I need right now.

Tagging forward, I've selected two of my favorite authors whose as-yet-unpublished works of awesome I've had to privilege to preview. The world is made better by their art being in it.

Kelly Swails

Stephen Gaskell

I'll link to them when they give me the go ahead. If you'd like to be tagged, too, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Vince, this sounds fantastic! I hardly ever read anymore (too many other extracurricular activities) but if it would be possible to get access to an "advance" copy of this draft I would make an exception!

    ReplyDelete

ubi solitutinem faciunt, pacem appellant.